Monday, July 2, 2012

Red River Gorge with Homemade Granola

Well it's post number 5...and I think it's about time to bring in the first part of this blog's name...travel! :)  This last weekend my fiance Josh, his uncle Scott, and I did some backcountry camping in Red River Gorge, or the Red as it's affectionately called by climbing and hiking enthusiasts.  The park is located in Kentucky and is part of the Daniel Boone National Forest.  After our 2-day, 15 mile hiking trip, I realized I never really knew what camping meant until this weekend!  There is definitely something to be said about hiking off into the woods, finding a completely secluded area to set up camp, and truly enjoying nature.  We had an almost full moon this weekend, which made the night beautiful to behold.  I'm just glad we didn't run into any of those brown bears or copperheads that are known to be found in the area ;)  It was an amazing experience, and we're already planning for our next camping trip.  I'm not sure I can go back to campgrounds after this!























And of course, no trip to the Red is complete without a stop at Miguel's Pizza!  Josh and I first discovered this place last fall when we went on a day hike to Natural Bridge State Park, also part of the Daniel Boone National Forest.  This place is big in the climbing community.  Not only do they offer great food, but you can also purchase a variety of climbing equipment from shoes and helmets to ropes and carabiners.  And about that food.  Oh. My. Goodness.  They offer 45 different toppings to choose from for a pizza and varying sizes.  Now, I know this kinda goes against my healthy theme for the blog...but hey, 15 miles of strenuous hiking with 30 pounds on my back?  I earned it!  This time we chose banana peppers, artichokes, chorizo, and feta.  Washed down with an Ale 8 of course (bottled locally in Kentucky).  Mmmmmm :)



And finally....on to the recipe that goes along with this theme!  Now, because I knew I needed to carry everything I would need for this weekend on my back, I wanted to make a lightweight, healthy snack I could munch on.  Because hey, even though I was gonna be getting some serious exercise, I didn't want to completely give up my whole foods diet!  I came across this recipe on one of my favorite blogs:  100 Days of Real Food.  Check it out if you're serious about changing your lifestyle and cutting out processed foods.

Homemade Granola


Ingredients:

  • 3 1/2 c. of steel cut oats
  • 1 c. raw sliced almonds
  • 1 c. cashew pieces
  • 1/2 c. sunflower seeds
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
* Note:  This recipe is very versatile.  Feel free to also use pecans or walnuts for your nuts, add pumpkin seeds or flaxseeds, or as recommended in the original blog, add 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (which I would have loved to add, but alas Kroger doesn't carry it).

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and prep a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

In a bowl combine the oats, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, and spices.


Next, heat the butter and honey over low heat in a small saucepan.  Once the butter melts completely, add the vanilla extract.


Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and combine with a rubber spatula until everything is evenly coated.  Spread evenly over your prepared baking sheet and pop into the oven for 75 minutes.  Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  This makes for an excellent snack and I also found was a great addition to my breakfast in my unsweetened applesauce.  It can also be used as a homemade granola cereal.  Just crush in a plastic bag, dump it into a bowl, and pour your milk over it.  Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment