Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mediterranean Diet...and some Hummus!

So, anyone looking to eat healthier will in some form or fashion come across reading about the "Mediterranean Diet."  I'd say I've adopted this without even really realizing it.  But it's a whole foods lover's dream.  The basic points of this Mediterranean way of eating include the following:

  • Sticking mostly to plant-based foods.  This would include lots of fruits and veggies, legumes, whole grains, and nuts.  
  • Replacing butter with the healthy fats....you know what this means...olive oil!
  • Using herbs and spices to season food, as opposed to loading up on the salt.
  • Limiting red meat intake to maybe a couple times per month.
  • Sticking mostly to chicken and fish when consuming meat...but still limited to only a couple times per week.
  • And my favorite!  Drinking red wine!  Okay, okay...in moderation ;)
Research has shown that this diet can actually reduce a person's risk for heart disease.  Do you know what the number one killer in America is?  Yep...heart disease.  And this comes straight from the CDC, so you know I'm not making it up!

Okay, I hear ya...enough with the healthy spiel...get on with the recipe!  Well, going along with my Mediterranean diet theme....here's a recipe for hummus!  (Okay, I know we think hummus, we think Middle Eastern instead of I guess Mediterranean...but as far as I'm concerned the countries still touch the Mediterranean so I'm gonna go with it!  Plus, it follows the guidelines laid out above!)  

Oh, and also...this is the best hummus I've ever had.  Ever.

Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Hummus

Ingredients:
  • Red bell pepper
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained (but reserve the liquid)
  • 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on the level of heat you like.  One is great for added flavor...I like 2 to add some kick to it as well.)
  • 2 Tbsp tahini sauce (this is a sesame paste you can find in the ethnic aisle of the grocery store)
  • Juice from one lemon
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • A couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach.  I love adding spinach to recipes just for the additional nutritional benefits.
First, we wanna roast that red pepper.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place whole pepper on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, rotating about halfway after about 15 minutes.

Chop up your pepper and add to food processor along with chickpeas, chipotle peppers, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and spinach.  Pulse until just a little chunky, then add in olive oil while pulsing a couple more times.  Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.  If it needs to be a little creamier, pulse in some extra "chickpea juice" until you reach the desired consistency.




Store in the refrigerator when done!  I love this recipe because it's delicious, makes a ton of hummus, and is quite cost effective ;)  Great for snacks or replacing mayonnaise as a spread (veggie wrap with hummus anyone?).


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm I love homemade hummus. I usually use white beans instead of the chickpeas & I have yet to put spinach in mine, but that may change the next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like the white bean idea too! Now I'm gonna have to try that one! haha :)

      Delete
  2. have you used store bought roasted red peppers? is there a huge difference in taste? i have some in the cabinet i need to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually always just roasted my own because it's cheaper haha. But if you have 'em, use 'em! Those would go perfectly with this recipe. I'd say about 1/2 c. should do it

      Delete