Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Healthier Take on Potato Salad

Oh, summertime.  Reasons why I love summer:

  1. No snow!
  2. Summer dresses.
  3. Increased vacation potential.
  4. Festivals!!  (my foodie self loves this especially!)
  5. Cookouts :)
Because my dad was out of town on business last weekend for Father's Day, we decided to postpone for a week and have a cookout today instead.  Now, I love my dad...but he isn't always the best at giving me a heads up when it comes to family events.  I can't tell you how many times I've missed out on something because I had to work or didn't have time to change my schedule. (You know it's true Dad!)  So, when I was informed yesterday that I needed to bring a side dish or dessert, I knew there would be no time for grocery shopping. (Okay, maybe I should have assumed I was supposed to bring something, but I admit...sometimes things just need to be spelled out for me!) However, I remembered I had some new potatoes in the fridge that had looked too good to pass up at my last trip to the market.  Potato salad makes for an excellent summer cookout side dish!  Side dish it is.

Now, staying true to my desire to cook healthier, I knew mayonnaise was out for my potatoes.  After searching through my kitchen, I settled on a mustard vinaigrette instead.  (On a side note, can I also mention how excited I get when I already possess everything I need to make a dish?!  Woot!)

Potato Salad with a Mustard Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
  • About 2 pounds of new potatoes, washed and quartered
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
  • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 2 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp. fresh, chopped rosemary
  • 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place the potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water.  Season with salt.  Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette.  In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, both mustards, vinegar, green onion, rosemary, salt and pepper.



When potatoes are finished cooking, rinse with cold water to cool them a bit.  In a larger bowl, combine potatoes, red onion, and vinaigrette; toss until covered.  Season with salt and pepper.


And there ya have it!  A fresh, healthier version of potato salad that literally took me less than 20 minutes to whip up.  Hope you can enjoy it at a cookout of your own this summer! 

2 comments:

  1. nom nom nom.... that looks delicious! i think you should make that with one of our dinners sometime :)

    ReplyDelete