Saturday, June 23, 2012

Delicious Whole Wheat Bread

So, after receiving multiple requests for my homemade bread recipe...here it is!

First, a little background.  When making the move away from processed foods, the first step is to read the label.  Every label.  Makes sense.  And if I find something I don't understand, I look it up!  The problem I was finding with bread was, well, the label included about 25+ ingredients.  What the heck.  It only takes 5 basic ingredients to make dang bread!  So, as I like to do, when I can't find the convenient, easy option I'm looking for in the store....I make it myself!  This is the best way for me to control what I'm eating.

So what's the difference between 100% whole wheat bread and white bread?  And why does this matter to me?  Wheat bread is made from all three parts of the wheat berry: the germ, the bran, and the endosperm.  And this is why all the nutrition is packed in...nothing is removed.  White bread on the other hand has been greatly processed in order to remove much of the wheat berry, leaving only the endosperm.  This leaves bread depleted of nutrients and high in calories.  Oh wait, then they just "enrich" the bread, right?  So options...super-processed, artificially enriched white bread?  Or healthy (and in my opinion, quite delicious) whole-wheat bread?  Well, for me the choice was pretty easy.  Check out this great little website I found that made a lot of sense to me when choosing what grains to buy:  http://thefoodillusion.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/understanding-grains-corn-wheat-multi-grain-etc/


Now, onto the recipe!

100% Whole Wheat Bread


Ingredients:



  • About 1 2/3 c. hot water
  • 1/6 c. olive oil
  • 1/6 c. local honey
  • 1 tbsp unsulphured molasses
  • 1/2 tbsp sea salt
  • 3 1/2 c. 100% whole wheat flour, divided
  • 1 tbsp active dry yeast
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed (optional) <----For added health benefits!

In a large bowl, mix together the first five ingredients, until the honey seems to have dissolved. (You can use a stand mixer if you like, but I find just using a wooden spoon for mixin' works just fine for me!)   Mix in 1 cup of the flour and the flax seed, if using.  Then mix in your yeast.

Add 2 more cups of flour and mix until consistency seems pretty even in the bowl.  The goal here is to add just enough flour to keep the sides of the dough from sticking to the bowl.  Here's where I'll add about 1/2 cup more of flour, and that usually seems to do it.  The dough will still feel tacky to the touch.  Just make sure not to over mix your dough or your bread will be tough.

Now, cover the bowl with a towel and let sit in a warm spot for about 30-45 minutes.

Once your dough has been allowed to rise, roll into a ball with your hands and place onto a flat, floured surface.  Knead the dough for a couple minutes and flip over a few times while working it out into a square shape.  Pull one side about halfway in, and bring the other side in on the other half.  Basically, you're creating a dough "log", with the seam on the bottom.


Drop your dough into an oiled and floured bread pan and press the corners down into the pan.  Allow to rise for another 45-60 minutes.
It should look about like this when it's ready for the oven:



Place your bread into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 36 minutes.  You'll know it's done when gently tapping on the loaf produces a hollow sound.  Turn it out of the pan and allow to completely cool on a wire rack.  Once it's cooled, wrap in either plastic or foil and store on the counter.

My favorite step is this, however.  As soon as it comes out of the oven, cut off a slice, add a pat of real butter and drizzle some honey over it.  I mean, we need to taste test everything first, right?? :)  Boy, healthy should NOT taste this good!!




No comments:

Post a Comment